Sunday, July 18, 2010

Friend to Fate Leveraging - Ending the vicious cycle



I met a guy who was down and out for 6 months or so. Fortunately, I bumped into him on an occasional basis and sometimes would share stories and insights into things. The last time I saw him he seemed no more destitute and morose than the average man. I asked him about himself and he verified my opinion. I asked how did he make it out? He mentioned that he was from a white collar background and while he was broke he could not get a job, much more one on a daily pay basis. He however had a friend who was in a simmilar position then, except that he fomerly was a painter prior to his fall.

1. What the guy did was to actually ask for a job on behalf of his friend concurrently when he called in for other daily paying jobs. Eventually, he did not get his but his friend got a break as a painter on a daily paid basis.

2. He made an arrangement with his friend that if he refered this job to him his friend had to support him while he searched and worked for a monthly paying one. This was for two months.

3. His friend agreed and after 2 weeks of going for interviews the guy I knew got a job as a customer service officer in a recognised MNC. He carried on working while his friend took care of all expenses like food, transport, etc...

4. At the end of the 2nd month of work, he paid his dues to his friend and was finally independent.

In sumarry, I do think this is quite a smart approach however the results are quite subjective but then again what is not ? Maybe the complexity could be more. But what are the chances of a friend agreeing to do something like that? 1 in 20, I think.

*Comments given are merely ideas, views or opinions of the commentator. It does not serve as a guarantee in anyway to the reader. Everyone is free to post their own thoughts on blog topics here.

5 comments:

  1. Along the course of my work I have also met numerous destitute cases. To be honest, I do feel admiration as they aspire largely to get out of thier situation. Its sort of a vicious cycle of sorts. When it comes to financial support its very much "chicken and egg". I interested to use the jobs that you have provided. I'll let you know how it fares, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose you're a social worker. Anyways goodluck ! Let me send you the contact numbers of the following people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess it works only with someone close even then you have to really assure him. To add why don't the 2 mentioned above stay together?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya that almost unheard of in Singapore! Good for him and he found a true friend I must say.

    Singapore needs more of such good souls around who are ready to help each other out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe one of the key traits to pull oneself out is to be dynamic....among other things.

    ReplyDelete